For men, 9.95 times out of 10, I do not want makeup in headshots. Bring some lip balm, and moisturizer if you generally wear some.
For women, I have a couple makeup artists on call who do amazing work. They know exactly what to do to make your makeup look outstanding on camera. At this time I do not require that you work with one of my selected makeup artists, but I do encourage it in order to achieve the best and most consistent results. If you choose to engage one of the makeup artists, they set their own rates and you will pay them directly the day of your shoot.
If you choose to do your own makeup, keep in mind:
Plan your makeup like you are going to a job interview or an audition. We want to start off simply and add or adjust as we go.
- If you wear foundation make sure it matches your skin tone and that you blend the lines well.
- Avoid heavy powder or things that will keep your skin from having a natural glow – it’s better to use blotting paper throughout the session to control shine.
- Stay away from really bold colors. We may add a touch more to the eyes and lips as we work through the session, but we don’t want to start with glamour makeup.
- No makeup with glitter in it
- No smokey or dramatically lined eyes
- Be sure to use moisturizer
- Drink lots of water leading up to your session. Well hydrated skin looks great on camera, and if often helps with dark circles under the eyes.